Voting

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I often get annoyed when the girls want to do whatever the other one is doing. Or wear what she's wearing. Or play with the very same doll she is playing with. We have a house filled with toys and books and dresses and babies and barbies. Why do we all have to fight over the same small thing.
But today it hit me in a completely different way. Or I viewed it with a completely different attitude -- hard telling which one it was for sure, but whatever it was, it was good.
They love each other. They are head over heels for each other. They would go to the ends of the earth for each other. They are best friends. Forever.
So of course they want to mimic and imitate each other... it's a way to be closer to each other. And it's a way of saying, "I like you, I like what you do, and I want to be more like you."
Earlier this afternoon, that is where that thought stopped. They imitate because they love. But over the course of the afternoon, my mind kept coming back to that moment (the moment that they were both walking around in slippers with their purses and their babies, shopping) and as I was doing dishes I was overwhelmed. When I watch those girls take care of their baby dolls, I am always so impressed with the love and care they show. They are so gentle with their babies and so aware of the babies needs (ok, I haven't lost my mind... I am completely aware that baby dolls don't have real needs.... just work with me on this one...). Where do they learn this from? Is it just something that a kid is born with? Or do they learn how to care from their caretakers??
I often question myself about how good of a job I am doing in my parenting. I love my kids more than life itself, but do I show that to them? Do they feel the effects of me putting their needs before mine every single day -- because I can't imagine it the other way around? Do they know how special and important they are?
What if they have learned how to care for their babies because of how I have cared for them? If that's the case, I think I'm doing an OK job. And if they are imitating me because they love me, then I am flattered. Thanks, girls. I love you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment